Business Development Manager
We are looking for a Business Development Manager to join our rapidly growing team. You will assume ownership of MicroTau's business development strategy, while working with the CEO to secure our launch customer in commercial aviation. You will rapidly gain an understanding of MicroTau’s technology and will be able to persuasively communicate our value proposition to customers. You will bring a commercial lens to assess potential customers and target markets based on overall strategic value. This role requires analytical skills to map and organise the ecosystem of commercial aviation customers to propose a market segment for MicroTau to pursue, as well as resourcefulness to reach out to customers, get introductions, build out contacts and open doors.
You will play a critical role in bringing MicroTau’s first commercial aviation product to market with customers who can help us validate its value proposition—and bring back ideas that take it from great to extraordinary. You will proactively build and grow a network of contacts in the market. You will develop deep relationships with our customers and will progress these relationships from initial contact to contract negotiations. You will effectively tackle customer concerns with a view to finding optimal solutions for both the customer and MicroTau.
This position is MicroTau’s first dedicated business development role. You will need flexibility, a willingness to learn and the initiative to make things happen. This is an opportunity to help define, build, and lead our BD function as we grow as a company.
- Develop and deploy MicroTau’s business development strategy – this role will be critical in aligning MicroTau’s aviation product with customer requirements and to secure our launch customer in commercial aviation.
- Take ownership of managing and maintaining MicroTau’s current network of customers and maximising the value of these relationships.
- Keep organised records as part of maintaining customer relationships.
- Assess commercial aviation customers, organising them into strategic groups considering factors such as value proposition, regulatory hurdles and speed to market.
- Map the ecosystem of stakeholders, including but not limited to aircraft owners, operators, OEMs, and MROs, to define their roles in a successful product launch.
- Engage with and expand our pipeline of commercial aviation customers
- Develop sufficient knowledge of our product and its value proposition, including how this changes across different aircraft, operators and applications to engage with customers and technical teams.
- Advocate for the customer’s needs within MicroTau to ensure we create the best possible product
- Conduct market research to best understand our customers, their needs, requirements, problems, and opportunities for our business.
- Communicate your findings efficiently and effectively to commercial and technical teams.
- Communicate with different levels and stakeholders within an organisation from executives to technical team members using appropriate language and considering their priorities.
Knowledge & Skills
- Business, STEM, or relevant university degree
- Technical, science or engineering background is ideal
- You are resourceful, able to find information out through research, building relationships and opening doors.
- Ability to work alongside senior team members to make strategic decisions
- Comfortable communicating scientific concepts and technical requirements with sophisticated customers
- Ability build out a network and think strategically
- You have a willingness to ask questions and learn things outside of your expertise.
- Organisational skills to keep detailed records of customer communications to effectively maintain relationships
- Previous experience in aviation is ideal, but not essential
- Previous experience in a business development role in a business-to-business environment and/or industrial sectors ideal, but not essentiak.
What Success Looks Like
In your first month at MicroTau you will engage with our existing pipeline of customers, gain an understanding of their needs, and begin identifying opportunities for expansion. You will spend significant time with our technology team to develop a deep understanding of our product and value proposition.
In your first 2 months, you will have assumed ownership of managing MicroTau’s current network of potential launch customers. You will expand MicroTau’s customer relationships and take ownership of key existing ones. By the end of your first 3 months, you will have mapped the ecosystem of our commercial aviation customers, organising them into strategic markets, and will propose a market segment to pursue as a priority. You will have developed a clear customer growth strategy in collaboration with the CEO. After 6 months, you will have secured qualified interest from at least five commercial aviation launch customers to progress at least three to negotiating a Heads of Agreement by mid-2023.
Who We Are
MicroTau prints nature’s surfaces to solve human problems. Taking inspiration from the animal world’s most creative (and deadly) engineers, we are making the materials that will make our world a faster, cleaner, and greener place.
Our ambition is to put ‘shark skin’ film on planes, saving US$20 billion in fuel and 92 million tonnes of CO2 emissions every year. To get us there, we’re working with the largest aviation manufacturers and operators in the world. Our product can help aircraft fly further and faster, carry greater payloads, and perform tighter, faster manoeuvres. We’ve invented and built the manufacturing technology to do this, and are even developing other biomimetic surfaces with self-cleaning and anti-fouling properties. These have the potential to create a further $US14 billion of value and reduce emissions by 133 million tonnes every year.
We’ve just closed a venture backed funding round and are rapidly expanding our team to accelerate the development and roll-out of this hugely impactful technology. During the next 24 months, we’ll be deploying riblet film to new aircraft for flight tests, building out new facilities, transforming our production line, and forming more new partnerships than ever before. For our employees, this means exciting growth opportunities and the ability to work alongside some of Australia’s brightest minds to solve one of the world’s hardest problems. Every employee can make an impact on the technology and applications we pursue.
MicroTau is an equal opportunity employer, we welcome diversity, and we believe that it benefits everyone. Employment at MicroTau is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Solving human problems with nature's surfaces.