Psylo is a biotech company developing medications inspired by psychedelics found in nature. Our goal is to produce next-generation neuropsychiatric therapeutics which are accessible to a broader patient population. See more about us here:
- Psylo is based at the University of New South Wales and was recently named a Top 100 Innovator. - https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/top-innovators
- Chief Scientist Sam Banister peaks with Hamilton Morris about medical chemistry and Psylo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ0fcCTyvDU
- CSIRO, Australia’s national health agency, collaborates with Psylo to evaluate neuroplasticity of novel psychedelic compounds - https://www.csiro.au/en/news/News-releases/2022/PSYLO-engages-CSIRO-to-evaluate-neuroplasticity-of-novel-psychedelic-compounds
Why It’s Great to Work Here
We work at Psylo because mental illness affects us all in some way, our current approaches are not good enough, and psychedelics provide a novel framework for developing new solutions. We are driven by a desire to effect positive change in the world; to leave the world a little better than we found it— campsite rules.
In addition to our deep sense of purpose, we love working here because:
- We are an innovative, collaborative, young company: we believe in partnerships, collaboration, and honesty so that we act fast, efficiently, and smart.
- Flexibility of hours: While we do have core hours for teamwork, we are a group of school picker uppers, late night lab rats, cross-time-zone collaborators, morning swimmers, and lunchtime gym nuts.
- Flexibility of location: While we do have a lab and office and do like face to face interaction, we know that it’s sometimes easier to work from home / cafe / plane / beach house.
- Employee Share Plan: We want all of our employees to be invested in more than just their individual outcomes. All employees can participate in our employee share plan.
- Wonderful office: We work on the beautiful campus of University of New South Wales, which means we have a lot of green space, have a great discounted fitness centre a few buildings away, are on public transportation routes, and have tons of students around to keep us young
Head imagery feature prominently in our branding, it also serves as an acronym for our values, which we try to weave into how we operate and interact as a team. These are:
- Honesty (& Hunger): We value transparency, internally and externally, and we're hungry to succeed, and learn - which is how we get so much done
- Empathy: We have a patient-centric mindset, everything we do is for people who are suffering and have limited options for treatment.
- Accountability: We do what we say. We recently established a penalty system where team members late to meetings donate to Black Dog Institute, a mental-health research non-profit. Proceeds from our online store all go the same institute.
- Diversity: We crave delivery of opinion, background, POV. Our team members have Australian, American, Chinese, Fijian, Swiss, Canadian, and Turkish backgrounds. We are dedicated to including as many people as we can, and frequently host community-interest events for the general public to provide an interactive forum for discussion around the science of psychedelic medicine.
- Self-reliance: We value enterprise thinking and proactivity. We work independently, but communicate often.
Psylo is searching for a Operations Manager to provide support in areas of operations, financials, and people. We are an early stage biotech start-up going through a growth phase, and this role will be key in ensuring we manage our day to day operations efficiently while building scalable processes to future-proof the business. This role will work with our outsourced bookkeepers and accountants, as well as with the scientific team and our various partners and suppliers - with the guidance of our CEO and part-time CFO.
- Take ownership of operational and administrative tasks of the company in areas of recruitment/hr, finance, and logistics
- Drive the recruitment effort to build the team and resource our program effectively
- Act as the primary contact with Psylo’s accountant/bookkeeper
- Support the procurement process (issuing purchase orders, overseeing compound shipments, tracking and approving invoices)
- Provide input into Psylo’s financial model and establish appropriate financial processes to account for company expenditure
- Assist with Psylo’s R&D tax credit applications and grant applications
- Develop monthly management reporting processes including commentary on variances to budget
- Use your initiative to continue to support the operational needs of the business as it matures
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Experience laying the operational foundations for growth in a quickly moving start-up
- Strong financial grounding in accounts, bookkeeping, reporting
- Track record in recruitment, team building, and establishing culture in an early stage business
- Working knowledge of Xero or comparable software packages
- Solid grasp of financial data analysis and report preparation
- Experience in R&D tax credit scheme a plus
- Understanding of the drug development and commercialisation process a plus
- All 'rounder with a drive to take on responsibilities to move the business forward
- Strong administrative skills and can-do attitude
- Warm personality who will amplify our culture and attract talent to the company
- Attention to detail, with exceptional organisation and time management skills
- Superb communication and collaboration skills with commercial and scientific coworkers
- Comfort in working in a fast paced and ever-changing start-up environment
- Ability to gain buy-in on process to ensure efficiency and accountability
- Ability to analyse and interpret data from a variety of sources
- Patience in navigating bureaucracy of government, universities, and corporates
- Capable of working independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Psychedelic inspired medications to treat mental illness