Head of Operations
SunDrive is an Australian solar technology start-up on a mission to unlock solar’s full potential. Only 1% of the world’s energy needs are currently met by solar, yet today’s solar technology is fast approaching its limits in terms of solar cell efficiency, costs and material scalability. The common denominator behind these limitations is the use of the precious metal silver (20% of the world’s industrial silver consumption is due to solar manufacturing). SunDrive has developed a novel copper-based solar technology to address these limitations - copper is 100x cheaper per kg and 1000x more abundant than silver. In September 2021, SunDrive produced the world’s most efficient commercial size solar cell using its copper technology, showing that higher efficiencies can also be reached. Having demonstrated the potential of its technology, SunDrive is now gearing up for large scale pilot manufacturing.
Founded in 2015 by two university flat mates and backed by some of Australia’s top venture capital firms (Blackbird, Main Sequence, Virescent, Grok), tech founders, and the Australian Government, SunDrive has grown from a small PhD project in a garage to now producing world leading solar technology.
We are looking for an exceptional individual to join the team as Head of Operations. As part of our leadership team, you will oversee the scaling of SunDrive through this exciting new chapter.
What you’ll get to do at SunDrive:
As SunDrive’s Head of Operations, you’ll be central to the development and implementation of SunDrive’s operational expansion as it heads towards market entry. You are excited about new challenges and bring experience to bear with each new opportunity. Reporting to SunDrive’s founders, taking on this role will involve:
- Working closely with the founders to drive execution of the top priority items for SunDrive’s growth and free founders up to focus on the company’s strategic agendas.
- Building out new capabilities as SunDrive quickly scales, maturing them, and handing them off to capable managers.
- Developing company operations with SunDrive’s leadership team.
- Designing and implementing company reporting and performance metric tracking systems.
- Driving the company cadence of planning and reporting on operational performance, including board reporting, quarterly and annual planning, and operational risk assessments.
- Identifying and implementing improvements to SunDrive’s operational efficiency and capacity.
- Mentoring and motivating teams to maximise productivity and engagement.
- Optimising company communications and dynamics for operational efficiency between different teams.
- Ownership of functional operations, including SunDrive’s IT solutions.
- Ensuring SunDrive follows all legal compliance requirements, ensuring that policies align with our overall strategy.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a high growth company (ideally in a rapidly moving start-up environment).
- Broad operational experience in senior management positions. Extra points for experience within a hardware/cleantech company and/or strong understanding of the hardware/cleantech space.
- Strong motivational skillset – not just for yourself, but skilled at motivating those around you to bring out the best in them.
- Experience in scaling company processes, systems, and teams during rapid expansion phases (from 25 to 100+ over 18-24 months).
Recipe for Success at SunDrive
- Above all, being honest, dependable, empathetic and a person of integrity
- Highly organised, with excellent time management skills
- Ambition, curiosity and a learning mindset to rise to each new challenge as it presents itself
- Exceptional ability to examine operational problems logically across both technical, financial and interpersonal facets of the company
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to coordinate, direct and influence team members
- A genuine interest in clean energy and the environment
Sundrive Solar Pty Ltd is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Sundrive is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Unlocking Solars Full Potential