Mechanical Design Engineer
SunDrive’s proprietary technology enables the use of copper instead of silver for solar cell electrodes. This technological breakthrough has significant benefits, including greater efficiency, lower cost, a scalable supply chain, and more environmentally friendly production.
Founded in 2015, SunDrive is backed by some of Australia’s top venture capital firms (Blackbird, Main Sequence, Virescent, Grok), tech founders, and the Australian Government (CEFC, ARENA). SunDrive has quickly grown from a UNSW Ph.D. project in a garage to producing the world’s most efficient commercial-sized solar cells.
The role of the Mechanical Design Engineer is to design, develop and test mechanical components, systems, and production tools to automate our solar cell fabrication process. Our processes are radically different, and all critical components are built from the ground up here in Sydney.
You will focus on:
- Design mechanical systems, components, and assemblies for SunDrive’s production line.
- Conduct prototyping, testing, and validation to verify design concepts.
- Assemble designs and sub-assemblies into SunDrive’s production line.
- Create detailed engineering drawings and documentation to support manufacturing and assembly.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure the design meets functional and safety requirements.
- Support production and quality control by analyzing and resolving product issues.
- Continuously improve designs through analysis, testing, and implementing design changes.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field with 3+ years of experience in mechanical design and development.
- Strong knowledge of mechanical design principles, materials, and manufacturing processes.
- Experience with CAD software (e.g.,SolidWorks).
- Proficiency in designing for prototyping processes such as 3D printing, power tools and hand tools.
- Able to be hands-on, use power and hand tools to assemble testing rigs, perform experiments and build production.
- Ability to design for manufacture and design for assembly.
- Knowledge of thermal and fluid dynamics.
- Excellent troubleshooting, problem-solving, and debugging skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Thirst for learning and developing new skills beyond your comfort zone.
- History of tinkering and building things from the ground up.
- Continuous improvement mindset and willingness to adapt to change.
- Passionate about making a difference, contributing to a company’s growth, and working with an experienced team.
Sundrive Solar Pty Ltd is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Sundrive is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need accommodation at any point during the interview process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Unlocking Solars Full Potential