Associate Process Engineer Plating
Why Sundrive? SunDrive’s proprietary technology enables the use of copper instead of silver for solar cell electrodes. This technological breakthrough has significant benefits, including greater efficiency, lower cost, a scalable supply chain and more environmentally friendly production.
Founded in 2015, SunDrive is backed by some of Australia’s top venture capital firms (Blackbird, MainSequence, Virescent, Grok), tech founders and the Australian Government (CEFC, ARENA). SunDrive has quickly grown from a UNSW PhD project in a garage to producing the world’s most efficient commercial-sized solar cells.
As a Process Engineer Plating, you will work at the forefront of SunDrive’s plating process optimisation. You will be responsible for hands-on work in plating across R&D experiments as well as in production, conducting experiments and undergoing processing runs with large sample sizes to maximise the output of SunDrive’s cell technology. You will also oversee the operation and maintenance of plating equipment in the lab and on the production line. You will help develop technology and improve SunDrive's technological competitiveness. This is an important role that will have a major impact on the quality and performance of SunDrive's products.
This role is suitable for individuals who are either recent graduates seeking their first full-time opportunity or those with technical aptitude who are considering a career change.
You will focus on:
- Daily operation of SunDrive plating equipment to process large batches of wafers reliably and consistently.
- Designing and executing plating experiments in accordance with the experiment plan.
- Operation of the pilot production line plating equipment, including tool testing/modification, routine maintenance, and repair.
- Documenting findings, data, and outcomes of plating experiments using Teams and the Atlassian Suite.
- Performing plating quality checks and characterisation on plated solar cells in the lab and on the production line, ensuring the quality and consistency of SunDrive’s future product.
- Clearly communicate problems and findings to SunDrive’s wider technology development teams, including module and production equipment development.
- A bachelor's degree in Engineering preferred (Chemical, PV, Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial) OR hands-on technical experience in an industrial or lab setting.
- Technical aptitude and the ability to quickly learn and apply new techniques and technologies, including our plating process.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, with the ability to find solutions to complex challenges.
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and effectively manage multiple experiments in a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment.
- Steady hands and exceptional attention to detail. Delicate manual handling of thin solar cells will be required.
- A natural in seeing the finer details. You need to be able to spot small subtleties and intricacies in our solar cell fabrication process.
- Comfortable performing repetitive manual tasks with high mental clarity and concentration, there will be instances where we will need you to fabricate hundreds of identical solar cells.
- Continuous improvement mindset and willingness to adapt to change.
- Passionate about making a difference, contributing to a company’s growth, and working with an experienced team.
SunDrive Solar Pty Ltd is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
SunDrive is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Unlocking Solars Full Potential